Monday, February 23, 2015

Say You're Sorry

Welp. It's been something like 36 hours since I returned home from a long trip and I have already had an opportunity to say I'm sorry not once but twice. Once to my husband for calling him an unfortunate name, and twice to my daughter for . . . . .oh, I'll let her tell you.

So let's get down and dirty here. Why should I even bother to say it? "Hey, I'm really sorry about what I just did. It was a mistake and I hurt your feelings. I feel bad." Why can't I just get away with whatever surprise is coming out of my mouth and ignore responsibility for what I say? Because that is NOT the way it works, my friends. And family. And acquaintances. And leaders.

When a person says, "I'm sorry for having hurt you", that person is accepting responsibility for inappropriate actions and words. There is acknowledgement. There is an effort to make amends and to make things right with other human beings. Asking somebody for their forgiveness requires a humbling of a proud heart. If it's done right, there is growth and understanding. There is a promise to do better the next time around. Saying you're sorry makes you more human and yes, more divine.

It's so ironic. We tell children all the time that they should be sorry. In addition, they ought to think of some way to make the hurt they may have caused go away. We could learn a lot by sitting in a nursery class and observing. Children understand. They get it. They know that being contrite will make their little nursery world more civilized.

How healing it would be if government leaders, ecclesiastical leaders, families and friends could say they were sorry. How wonderful if we could all remember that no one is above seeking forgiveness for mistakes.  Rectifying the wrongs. Binding the wounds. Healing the broken hearted.

So think about it. If, like me, you're just as surprised at what comes out of your mouth as anyone else, you will have plenty of opportunities to humbly ask for forgiveness. Say you're sorry. Be sincere. Mean it. Change your behavior. Show forth afterward an increase of love.

I'm going now. I need to call my daughter. Say I'm sorry. Tell her that I love her. And that my offense to her spirit won't ever happen again.

Life is beautiful when things work out, isn't it?









4 comments:

  1. Betty...I am pretty sure we're twins...❤️...you are in my brain or visa versa😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie - if that's the case, welcome to my mad, mad, mad world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I (still) love reading your writing, Betty.
    It makes me feel like I am with you!

    Love from SLC X.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Brooke. We always leave a piece of ourselves behind, don't we. I feel the same about you. You were and are one of the nicest, fun, people I have ever met. :)

    ReplyDelete