Sunday, February 22, 2015

DONE. WITH. THAT.

Hi. It's been awhile since I wrote anything on this blog. I'm not sure why. I still have stuff to say that I really shouldn't tell people. Perhaps I have lost my nerve. Or I decided that no one was listening. Nothing I have to say would make any difference, so why bother?

WRONG. Regardless of whether you listen or not, whether you agree or not, whether you ever speak to me again, I've got something to say. Hang on.

I began this blog shortly after returning from India in 2012. I have always enjoyed writing, though it's a difficult mental exercise and sometimes it's an emotionally draining experience. When I started
stuffishouldn'ttellpeople.blogspot.com, it had a very different purpose and a different tone than the blog I wrote from India. Sometimes, my topics were all too personal and I addressed controversial subjects near and dear to my heart. I'm sure some of what I wrote offended some. That's a risk I took.

It's a difficult thing to really hang yourself out there for all the world to see, especially when there's a chance you are going to be losing friends. Blogging can be fun. It can be therapeutic. It can also be dangerous. Sometimes the comment section can be a hurtful experience.

This morning, I realized that by my silence, I have voluntarily surrendered my freedom of expression. I am still that little girl trying to be all things to all people, afraid of censure, unwilling to churn the waters. . . . . . . . DONE. WITH. THAT.

That changes today.  I'm done with the pretense. Done with disguise. Done with acquiescing. Done with silently standing by while actions are taken in my name that I adamantly oppose.

Spend some time reading a little bit of what I have already written. If you are uncomfortable with it, your options are very clear. Stop reading my blog. If yours is a tone of condescension or condemnation, or even worse, silent exclusion, you are in the wrong place.

I have big fish to fry. Welcome to the picnic. And I don't mind if you take a pass. We will both be happier.








1 comment: